Friday, March 27, 2009

Some Things Can Still Scare the Piss Out of You..

Yeah, yeah, I know. I suck. I haven't posted in a bit. I've been toying with what to post next. First, I was thinking Rainbow Brite episodes, but I'm just lazy.

Then I was thinking other movies, but again, lazy.

So I'm just going to babble again, and you'll just have to deal with it! Or, you know, close the window. Whatever.

Today, I want to talk about being afraid. Now, I'm not talking about end of the world, zombie apocolypse fear.

I'm talking child fear. Child fear that may still apply today. When you're little, things can be pretty goddamn scary. That slightly open closet can hold a helluva lot of monsters.

But me? I was special.

1. E.T.

Fucking E.T. Stupid turd-shaped monster of DOOM. As you all know, I'm a child of the 80's (1983 to be exact), and E.T. came out in 1982 in the theatre. Now, I think I was about.... 3.. when the VHS came out. My parents were ape for this; apparently we pre-ordered the tape from Major Video, and they had a choice of whether or not to get a plush E.T. with it. They opted not to.

Good choice.

We had a huge console television. I'm not certain they make those anymore, but for those of you that have no idea what they are, look here. This is pretty much EXACTLY what it looked like. Now, it had STEREO sound!!! So, we all popped in the tape to watch the grand children's movie, E.T., as loud as possible, to get the movie theatre effect.

And then E.T. screamed. And I lost my shit.

I remember FLIPPING out when E.T. screamed. Like, seriously having a spastic fit of grand proportions. I dont' remember much else of it, though it was probably just my parents turning off the movie or something. After that, the next time I saw E.T., I was 13. And it still creeped me out.

I was even afraid of the Amblin Logo. Because, well.. it was E.T. and he was damn scary.


2. Gremlins

I don't have an epic story to go with this one, unfortunately. I don't remember having a headfit watching this movie, but I always just remember being afraid of the gremlins. Even Gizmo! I never had a Gizmo doll, or anything close (though when I was older I did get Furbies, of course, because who didn't?), except for a book on record (HEAR the story, SEE the.. whatever.) I think it was mostly the little logo that really did it for me though. See it there? At the bottom? A little gremlin coming out of a box? Forget it, I didn't want that shit.


3. The end of movies.

I'm not talking like, the endings or whatever. I mean the physical end of the actual tape. I don't know why. Maybe it was the snow at the end, or the FBI Warning!!!.. or maybe the logos scared the crap out of me. But when I was little, I was convinced something was going to get me if I watched the credits. (I think maybe Gremlins had laughing evils at the end, which could have done it). Even now I get a little antsy if I stay during the credits..


4. Movie Logos

Over at Nostalgia Junkie, there was a whole post about scary logos and theme songs and stuff. The one that really frightened me was the F.H.E logo (with its synthesizer of EVIL), the United Artists one, and Thames (usually found on Danger Mouse or Count Duckula). Thames was enough to make me want to run out of the room. Oh, and of course, the Amblin Logo, cuz it was E.T.

There was also a few different movies that had freaky music that scared the pee out of me. Poltergeist's theme, the ending music of E.T (where you see the rainbow... I guess I just really have a problem with that movie all together haha), and the part where the arm comes up in Carrie and grabs Sue. The music just sticks with me and freaks me out..

What scares me now? Japanese Horror movies (The Ring, The Grudge.. that stupid fucking noise that that stupid grudge creature makes..), and The Exorcist. I can only watch that movie like.... once every few years. I can't look at any pictures of Linda Blair in that makeup (and I've met her twice!).. I just.. no. Can't do it. Freaks me out. I'm freaked out just thinking about it.

Oddly enough though? I've fallen asleep to both Carrie AND Hellraiser. By choice. And there were numerous times where I've passed out during a Nightmare on Elm Street marathon.

But I never claimed to be normal.

2 comments:

  1. Cool site!

    ET scared the crap out of me when I was little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ET never scared me but I hated it just the same. I have NEVER liked that movie. I guess I just don't get the hype.

    Argh, the dreaded end of the tape! I was scared of TV snow when I was a kid (THANKS A LOT, POLTERGEIST), but some tapes had this white screen with a loud Emergency Broadcast System type of sound, and I would always freak the hell out.

    Speaking of the EBS, brrrrr. I hated that thing. The new one, the Emergency Alert System, also scares me.

    Speaking of Poltergeist, even though it scared the crap out of me, it somehow became one of my favorite movies.

    Oh snap, I forgot about that Thames logo. Never liked that one. The music is creeeepy.

    Oh, I just watched The Exorcist for the first time recently. At 11 PM. By myself. I was kind of unsettled for about an hour afterward but I slept okay. But still, that was the scariest movie I've seen in a long time, maybe the scariest period.

    ReplyDelete